Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mothers Day

Many thoughts and feelings are running through me this morning. I am grateful for so many things, my Mother and Father, my incredible Husband and my 2 beautiful boys (who know just what buttons to push at times!).

Early this morning, as I lay in bed watching the preperations for the Breast Cancer walk in Philadelphia on the news, I had several mixed emotions. I am grateful for everything in my life, yet saddened at the same time. My Mother is a Breast Cancer Survivor and she was just taken off her medication!! All is going extremely well thank goodness!!!

My mind went to a family in our town. My oldest son and her youngest child went through elementary school, middle school and now high school together. She still worked in the library at our elementary school where my youngest still attends, and we would always say hello to eachother whenever we passed in the hallway. She had been battling Breast Cancer for quite some time, and her beautiful life came to an end a few weeks ago. I am so deeply saddened by this. My heart goes out to her family, especially today on Mothers Day. Paula.....if you can here me, You and your Family are in my thoughts and heart always.

Another family in my thoughts on this day (well, very often actually) are the Scott's, a local family as well. I'm sure many of you have heard of Alex's Lemonade Stand Alex was diagnosed with Pediatric Cancer and decided to raise money for research buy selling Lemonade. Check out the link above for her full story and information about the organization. Here is just a smidge of information from the website:

About Alex's Lemonade Stand

Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation (a registered 501c3 public charity) is a unique foundation that evolved from a young cancer patient's front yard lemonade stand to a nationwide fundraising movement to find a cure for childhood cancer. Since Alexandra "Alex" Scott (1996-2004) set up her front yard stand at the age of four, more than $10 million has been raised towards fulfilling her dream of finding a cure for all children with cancer.

This story just absolutely touched my heart. We live very close to this incredible Family and I had the pleasure to meet Liz Scott a couple of months ago. It all started like this:
At one of Alex's stands I saw a woman who was selling handcrafted "lemon earrings" to raise money along with the lemonade sales, and then it hit me! Why don't I make some cards to raise money for the organization!
So this is what I came up with

I sold the cards for $2.50 each or a package of 5 for $10.00. I did not take any money out for supplies. I sold 13 sets of cards, and when I sent the check I placed it in one of the cards. A few days later I received an email from Cynthia (Hi Cynthia!!), who works for the organization, wanting to order 2 sets of cards. I hand delivered the cards to her, and she then introduced to me Liz {Hi Liz!!}, Alexandra's Mother. What an Incredible and Beautiful person! So if you have a moment, check out link above and read the whole story!

Liz, what an incredible journey Alexandra has started for you and your Family! Happy Mothers Day to you! Big {{{{{HUGS}}}}} are being sent your way!!

I hope to come up with some more creative fund raising ideas for this wonderful organization in the near future! And I challenge you to do the same! Pick an organization that is close to your heart and see what creative ideas you can come up with to help them out!!

Happy Mothers Day to all you mommies out there, and thanks for letting me share!!!

5 comments:

Jen Carter said...

Cute, cute card! What a neat story!!

Patti said...

Melanie - you are such an awesome and giving person!! Thank you for sharing those stories.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful story! Kudos to you for your kindness and generosity.

Joan said...

This is adorable. Love that story.

Anonymous said...

Lovely thoughts and words. We love the card here at Alex's!